Monday 16 December 2013

microblogs in the workplace


Reading the 2009 article 12 Microblogging Tools to Consider and then the 2011 Deploying microblogging in organisations made me wonder about current trends in microblogging in the workplace.

My own experience with in-house microblogging Yammer and to be honest I don't find it very successful. I think it was designed to keep staff at the university where I work on the same page via collaborative information sharing. I joined up because I'm interested in social networking but I don't know what the buy-in from staff is.

I do know I largely ignore it. My limited Yammer engagement is via the email updates on posts, but to click through to read conversations is more than I have time for and I'm wondering if this is not just a box that the uni feels it needs to tick rather than effective communication. It'd be interesting to discuss this with my colleagues to see if it's just me that's out in the yammer-cold or not.

The library microblogs with twitter service, as do a lot of other university units - we quite often retweet each other, but I know a lot of the staff are not buying-in there either. I think the potential for social media collaboration will come when we move away from our reliance on email and face-to-face meetings to interact in a different space altogether.

This interview, in 2012, with Don Tapscott has some interesting ideas along these lines.

Kaveh Moravej  (2012).. YouTube chnanel: Making internal collaboration work: An interview with Don Tapscott

retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oLCgWj3is

No comments:

Post a Comment